Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Funny Slippers

“You want to buy slippers for someone in your Family Group?” I ask. Never heard this request before. Now this seventh-grade Family Group leader is showing genuine concern for one of his younger Family Group members.

“Yeah, it’s Red Ribbon Week and tomorrow everyone will be wearing funny slippers as part of the “Give drugs the slip” day. I don’t think this guy has any to bring.”

“And you’re willing to shell out the money if I give you this student’s shoe size?”

“Yes, I was afraid if I asked him, he’d figure it out. If you tell me his size, I’ll go buy them tonight and then tomorrow you can give them to him, or to his teacher, or something.”

“I’m really impressed that you would care about him and plan ahead to avoid a potentially awkward time for one of your members. Why don’t you want to give them to him yourself?”

“Well, I would, but I don’t want the other members of my Family Group to think I’m playing favorites.”

I look at him for awhile. “I’m impressed with your foresight and wisdom. The problem is that he has a sibling who would also be left out.”

Without hesitation, he says, “I’ll buy two pair.”

No comments: