Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Knocked Silly

Mike had clobbered Pete (not their real names) on the head with a science book (not the real implement). Now both boys sat in my office making sure the appropriate apologies were made and the friendship restored.

Me: Mike your head isn't hurt? You don't have a head ache? You're not angry with Mike?"

Pete: Yeah... I mean "No." My head doesn't hurt and I'm not angry with Mike.

Mike: Sorry I hit you on the head. I thought you were laughing at me.

Pete: Yeah, well I was, but I said, "I was only joking."

Mike: Oh, I didn't hear that part.

Pete: Yeah, that's okay. It didn't hurt that much.

Me: So... you guys are cool with each other?

Both: Yeah, we're fine.

Me: ...and is there anything else we need to deal with?

Both: Uh... no.

Me: Okay, Pete, you can go back to class.

Pete exited with one last handshake with Mike who'd attacked him. As soon as Pete was out the door, Mike turned to me with a shocked expression and wide eyes.

Mike: I must have seriously injured him; he's never been that nice!

Mike was suspended according to our policy dealing with physical aggression, but he had shown sincere remorse and a good sense of humor.
(Published with "Mike's" permission.)

No comments: